Friday, September 5, 2014

Tenedos

If anyone is following these posts in order, this should come between Troy and the posts on Bozcaada/Tenedos. Since I have been unable upload for a while, they are out of order.

/
After a visit to Troy, I caught the ferry to Bozcaada, known to the Greeks as Tenedos.







I had reserved a room in a house in a vineyard on the main road on the island. Took a minibus there, showing the driver my instructions, "ikinci amerikan cesmesi" which meant "the second American fountain." And, well, there was a fountain built along the road...don't know its history yet.

Someone was supposed to be there but was not so I headed down the dirt road and calling "hello" at the first house, showed my second message, "doctor methap hamim'in evi" which meant "doctor methap's house" (I think...using my basic turkish dictionary). The couple at that house were Dutch. Mine was the next house over.

My host was there...we shared conversation and watermelon...I unpacked...checked the view from the roof of the stone guest house...






and headed for town, waiting only a few minutes for the minibus to pass back by. Bozcaada is a resort island...guess it has been for thousands of years...some greek myths have this as the origin of grapes. The Turkish government has put money into reviving the industry and the small farms are being converted into guest houses and boutique wineries.

This morning it is raining off and on. My fellow guests, a young couple from Uzbekistan, get around on their rented bikes. I am still a bit doubtful about that, having witnessed the manner of driving cars on these narrow roads, but who knows what the day might bring.

If too much rain, I will stay in this stone guest house and read a Turkish novel I picked up in the gift shop at Hagia Sophia.



Location:Bozcaada...