Friday, September 5, 2014

Ayazma...the beach

After breakfast, when the rain shower passed, I said goodbye to my breakfast companions...a young couple from Uzbekistan (he from there...working in travel and event planning...she from Russia, a small town in the Urals, but had spent an exchange year in Florida, flawless English, now working at the Russian embassy in Tashkent...we talked and talked over tea)...I headed toward the beach.



According to Homer, this was the island the Acheans hid their ships behind while Ulysses and his companions hid in the belly of the Trojan horse, to emerge once Priam agreed to bring it behind the city walls. Alas for all concerned.

Homer does not relate if it was stormy when the boats were off this beach, but it was this morning. So taking the minibus back to town, I hung out, wandered its streets (next post?)...had tea...a lot of Turkey is about having tea.

But, in the afternoon, the sky cleared. Again I got on the minibus and headed for the beach. My, my...what a wonderful beach as the sun shines...

















So what is it with the sea? We are so far from it in Colorado. There the only real "beach" is at the foot of Arapaho Basin ski mountain in June when the snow melt forms a pond to which people bring couches and artificial palm trees and ski into slush.

The water was clear, clean, cold, braching. Above the beach a series of restaurants serving food and local wine. When I thought of Turkey, I did not think of the beach...but from now on, I will. Like maybe tomorrow if no rain showers down on us.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Bozcaada