Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Holy Christ!!!!!

Well given Prague's deep religious roots, one sees the form of the crucifixion in many public spaces and museums. In the churches of course. (personal note: I see myself as part of the western Christian tradition but the older I get, the more I think it is a really strange religion.




But the icon is everywhere...still I was surprised to see it at the DOX museum of contemporary art on the outskirts of the historic city. A huge crucifixion on an outside wall by the 2nd story patio.


At first I noticed just the figure. And, then, of what it was composed. Old, used shoes.






I don't know if this version was meant to be ironic, reverential, funny, humbling or a way of elevating the mundane into the sacred.

Still it did what art, at times, is supposed to do. Give one pause.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Prague