Thursday, August 11, 2011

The bay, the ocean


So here I sit in Vail Colorado....trying to have my soul catch up with my life...and thinking of where I left off my last post.  We were heading west...and we made it to Larkspur, a small old hippy town on the San Francisco Bay.  Visiting friends, taking the ferry across the bay to the city, riding some of the best bike trails in the country, feeling the soothing calm of fog which, like snow, slows everything down.  We stayed four days.  Time to get reacquainted with old friendships, urban streets, and water.  So little in Colorado and here, along the bay, water just hangs in the air.  


Windsurfing must just be a variant on the impulse to go fast on the earth's surface...as old, perhaps, as running through tall grass chasing an animal, seeking the meat.  But now just the sense of movement for its own sake. And perhaps the road trip has something in common....moving through space with a purpose, maybe without a purpose.