Thursday, February 21, 2008

Orient Land Trust



Left Wolf Creek around 2:00 and drove down the canyon and across the San Luis Valley to the Orient Land Trust where I rented a great cabin (bed in the loft under a large skylight to watch the stars in the evening and dawn in the morning). It’s probably about 200 square feet, just perfect for me and my gear. Spent the evening moving between the hot springs, the sauna, and the pool…its steam rising in the cold night air.

There's a rhythm to the Sangre de Cristo Mountains which tower above the Land Trust. With just snow and dark trees, they create a kind of music...like Twelve Cents?




Today, well, I worked in the morning, using the reception building’s internet. Did some cross country up to the Orient mine. More folks arrived: several families with small kids, a few musicians from Denver, a few isolates like myself…an insurance agent on his way to Hot Sulphur Springs, a retired geologist on his way to the Grand Canyon. Several people play the guitar, others the piano….looks like there will be a jam session in Oak House tonight. But for the moment, I’m glad I have my own cabin.