Thursday, February 21, 2008

Hot Springs and Wolf Creek


On Monday morning, I did some work (Aspen hydroelectric consulting) downtown in Durango and then rode over to Pagosa Springs. I found a place to stay across from the springs and, instead of heading out for the snow, spent much of the day walking around town and soaking in the hot springs. Pagosa uses the geothermal energy from the hot springs to heat its whole downtown. But the main visual impression is the steam rising from the springs and people enjoying the pools that have been built along the banks of the San Juan River.

On Tuesday, I drove out early from Pagosa Springs to Wolf Creek Pass and its ski area (on the east side of the pass). Thus far the ski area received 454 inches of snow, though there was not much fresh powder on the runs I did. I hired a ski instructor to give me pointers on doing moguls, but he had more of a mind to reprogram my overall approach to skiing…all of which was good and I have much to learn, but I’d rather have come away with more experience on the moguls. Still I did come away with a lot to practice.