Sunday, March 18, 2007

Silk


Tamel Nadu has been much more closely alligned with the peoples of the bay of Bengal and southeast Asia for much of its history than with northern India. The Tamil alphabet is similar to that used in Cambodia, for example, it is not sanskript. The early Pallava empire built its maritime wealth from the silk production in Kanchipuram and from the stone carving in Mamallapuram.

I have begun to do some shopping and today bought some silk from a woman on the beach. She also is a trader. The people whom I've met seem to put a great emphasis upon their own work, upon the belief that the government will be of no assistance to them, and that the gods remain central. We have to think in stories to understand the truth. I am beginning to meet more people each day; I am figuring out how to find informants; I like exploring all the ways of travel; I am absorbing so much each day and trying to find time for relection.

The blog helps me to do that: to distill each day into a paragraph. Such fun.