Thursday, June 21, 2012

Kids

So why do we spend a week with kids, sharing songs, activities, time, ideas, experiences...I guess because they nurture our souls.


-


At our Quaker gathering in northern New Mexico, Gretchen Baker-Smith said during a morning sing (she being the one with the big hand made song book) that we all nurture one another...that is true for me.

And what is nurtured in part is that part of our souls that still carries a child within. I realized that most fully the morning I spent with the toddlers and infants. Micah had woken from his nap but still wanted to be held. So I went into the nap room, picked him up, and sat down in the rocking chair to sooth him. Micah has this loving way of clinging to one's neck and shoulders...something so basically mammalian about that form of embrace. We rocked. I sang a little song I remember my father singing to me in Norwegian when he put my brother and I to bed. And,then, giving into the mood, the heat in the room, we both fell asleep. Fifteen minutes? Half an hour? Don't know how much time passed. Doesn't matter.

We woke at the same time. Drowsy, we joined the kids, Wally and Lilly, playing in the other room. And, then, I really woke up, felt some new, good energy and Micah looked around with new eyes. It was just that we both needed a good nap. And how would I have known if Micah hadn't lulled me to sleep in the rocker.

That's why we hang out with kids...at least on one morning of the Quaker gathering.




Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Ghost Ranch, Abiquiu New Mexico