Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mosquito Pass or rather Mosquito No Pass

A made-up day.  Got up around 5:30, put on some clothes, walked down to the admin building, made some coffee, sent out a blog, caught up on email....   Car battery dead but OLT is used to that happening all the time so they just rode me up a charger and it turned right over.  

Decided to drive to Leadville...on the way, studied the maps, and decided to go home over Mosquito Pass....a 4 wheel drive road that extends from 7th street Leadville to Alma on the road between Breckenridge and Fairplay.   I knew the lower part of the Mosquito Pass Road, having used cross country skis to make tracks this past winter.  So I headed up and up...


And the vistas opened and then opened again.  Amazing. 

But that did not happen to the road, however, which was the width of my vehicle in places.  A road of rocks...granite boulders...ain't no biking lane here....


It was just around the bend on the photo below that I came to a snow drift whose depth I could not fathom and over which no tires had ever passed.  A sense of relief because I was beginning to doubt if the Explorer was really up to it...e.g.  what is its history on tipping over on high mountain passes? 


On the way back down I stopped at an old mining operation....tailings from mining tunnels dot the lower hillsides.   This was The Diamond Mine.  Don't know what they found....probably I could find out from histories and old records in the town hall.   For now it's just stuff rusting away under a hot sun.   Oh well, time to take another road home (hey how about I-70?)