Thursday, April 2, 2009

On another road


Left Fez feeling the need for a more tranquil setting...after all I do live in a small town. So after being told by the driver of a petit taxi...the small taxis that can only drive in the city...that there was no way to get from there to here...I had him drop me at the bus station. I had thought I could get a grand taxi...they go between cities and towns when they fill up with enough passangers, usually seven in a small sedan...but I was wrong. Turns out I would have had to change in several towns on the way.




I was two hours early for the bus, so I had another couple cups of coffee with milk and studied my French. The trip to Chafchaouen took about four hours through countryside that was at first rolling hills but which grew increasingly verticle and the road led through narrow gorges through clouds and light rain, higher and colder, until we rounded a bend and there was the town across yet another valley.