Saturday, March 28, 2009

On the railroad


I was not prepared for the green, fertile countryside that sped by the second floor windows of the smooth, comfortable train I rode this morning up from Rabat to Meknes. The train beat any line I have ever been on in the US. I wonder how my country ever got so far behind in the development of transport. Maybe we got too excited about the low prices at Wallmart and we thought that was progress. Something about you know better what to do with your money than the government does. We lost decades of infrastructure investment believing that Republican tag line.



Maybe it is just that we stereotype not only other parts of the world, but ourselves as well. I am in a walled city in a cyber store filled with men and women and even families, reading emails, talking on Skype, listening to music. So where really are the walls that nations keep on putting up? They must be, in large part, in our heads.