Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Not Starbucks

You can tell it's not starbucks when the guy next to you is eating his dinner off a banana leaf. But, man, was the coffee (milk coffee) the greatest latte in town. It was a shack off the west wall of the Araunachalam temple complex. I'd been up at an ashram, a cave on the lower slopes of the mountain, doing some Quaker meditation. I was heading down the stone steps through the village when I met a stone carver. I bought a couple of meditation balls (lingam on one side and the sign for "Ooommmm" on the other). Because he didn't have change, he took me to his house to get it (his wife was washing clothes in the courtyard). Afterwards, he took me to the local place to celebrate, hence the milk coffee. Anyway while the food on the banana leaf looked good, I stuck to what I knew had been boiled (more or less).

No pictures until I get more than a mail up connection.